Skip to content
Engagements, Reports and Social Impacts
Selected Engagements, Reports and Social Impacts
- EarthCube and Council of Data Facilities (stakeholder maps in 2012, 2015, and 2022). Social impacts included helping to shift the culture of the geosciences to more fully support data sharing and reuse.
- Biomarkers Consortium (stakeholder map in 2012). Social impacts include informing the public-private partnership structure for the discovery and qualification of biomarkers.
- Community Green Energy (stakeholder map in 2012). Social impacts include pivot away from wind farm and investment in solar farm, based on revealed misalignments on wind, and NSF briefing leading to EarthCube support.
- Digital Inclusion in Dodge City (stakeholder map in 2013). Social impacts include state-wide award for innovation in bridging the digital divide (with continued challenges, however, as a result of social divides).
- Global Fab Lab Ecosystem (stakeholder maps in 2013, 2016, and 2022). Social impacts include advancing literacy, innovation, and inclusive community with digital fabrication in over 2,000 communities.
- iSamples, Interdisciplinary Earth Data Alliance (IEDA), and International GeoSample Number (IGSN) (stakeholder maps in 2014 and 2015). Social impacts include advancing community support for digital object identifiers (DOIs) for physical samples.
- National Data Service (stakeholder maps in 2015 and 2016). Social impacts include innovation in the use of “containers” for data infrastructure.
- National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON) (stakeholder maps in 2016 and 2020). Social impacts include community input for the cyberinfrastructure associated with data sharing and user groups.
- FAIR Data and Coalition for Publishing Data in the Earth and Space Sciences (COPDESS) (stakeholder map in 2017). Social impacts include community consensus for publication policies by the world’s leading science publishers to not accept flat PDF data supplements and instead insist on reusable data (in coordination with the Council on Data Facilities).
- Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment (XSEDE) (stakeholder maps in 2017, 2019). Social impacts include appreciation for the workforce diaspora associated with high performance computing and the expanding impacts in diverse fields and disciplines.
- Campus Research Computing Consortium (CaRCC) (stakeholder maps in 2017 and 2022). Social impacts include collaboration in the development and deployment of a campus capability assessment platform and progress in the professionalization of the research data and computing community.
- Kaiser Permanente and Coalition of Labor Unions (stakeholder map in 2018). Social impacts include identification of dynamics among workers engaged in Unit-Based Teams (UBTs) and those not engaged, as well as impacts of workforce training and new technology.
- University of Alaska (stakeholder maps in 2018 and 2019). Social impacts include contributing to strategic review for the university and “world build” on the future of higher education in Alaska.
- Minority Serving Cyberinfrastructure Consortium (MS-CC) (stakeholder maps in 2018, 2020, and 2022). Social impacts include increased collaboration among HBCUs, TCUs, and others in ensuring the cyberinfrastructure for community-led research.
- UMass Memorial Health Care (stakeholder map in 2019). Social impacts include identification expansion opportunities for Unit-Based Teams (UBTs).
- Massachusetts Immigrant and Refugee Advocacy Coalition (stakeholder map in 2020). Social impacts include identification of common interests and challenges among diverse Coalition members.
- West Big Data Hub (stakeholder map in 2020). Social impacts include fostering collaboration on cross-border water issues between the U.S. and Mexico, public health, workforce development, and related issues.
- Leap to Large (stakeholder maps in 2021 woven throughout session slides). Social impacts include building capability for large-scale research and engineering projects.
- Data Reuse (stakeholder map in 2021). Social impacts include a report with recommendations to the NSF and feedback to professional societies.
- Internet2 (stakeholder map in 2022). Social impacts include aligning infrastructure services with support for underserved institutions.
- AI/ML Ethics (stakeholder map in 2022). Social impacts include generating guidance on AI/ML ethics for the American Geophysical Union (AGU), with support from NASA.